The map below shows the location of 1802 West Point buildings compared to today. The modern buildings are in red.
As mentioned previously, this old, wooden structure was called the "Long Barracks," “Yellow Barracks,” or even "Blue Barracks" and was the primary cadet housing before 1815. It stood on Trophy Point on the ground between today’s Battle Monument and the section of the Great Chain. It was over 200 ft long and two stories high.… Continue reading The Long Barracks
While stationed at West Point from 1778 to 1780, Polish military engineer Thaddeus Kosciuszko created a small retreat for himself in some rocks overlooking the Hudson River. Dr. James Thatcher’s journal for July 28, 1778 recalls: Here I bad the pleasure of being introduced to Colonel Thaddeus Kosciusko, a gentleman of distinction from Poland, Having… Continue reading 1778: Kosciuszko’s Garden
This area of the Academy, as it is today, was comprised of functional buildings and storehouses. A handful of quarters also were found here. In terms of the physical landscape, much of the area was meadow and not forested. Low-lying areas close to the River could be wet. Vegetation would have been much younger as… Continue reading 1802: The Waterfront
FORT CLINTON Visitors to the remains of Fort Clinton today might think that the Fort was constructed of stone, but most of the original fortification, completed between 1778-1780, was dirt and wood. By 1802, the walls had decayed to the point that Joseph Gardner Swift refereed to the Fort as “dilapidated” with portals reminiscent of… Continue reading 1802: The Eastern Plain
OLD PROVOST RUINS This stone building likely had been a prison built during the Revolution (which would make sense given its location on “Execution Hollow”). In November of 1781, General John Paterson wrote to General William Heath that the “new provost” was not finished (Egleston 1898, 245). He also refers to a “lower floor” which… Continue reading 1802: The Western Plain
When Joseph Gardiner Swift, the Academy‘s first graduate, arrived at West Point in October of 1801, he entered a landscape shaped by the Revolution and the eras before and after the War. While the Academy was not officially opened until July 4, 1802, military personnel had occupied the post continuously since the end of the conflict… Continue reading 1802 Overview